NRAS Rental Applications
To help make things easier below is a step by step guide to applying for a National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS) property.
Step 1. Register with NRAS
Firstly you need a NRAS Reference Number. Simply complete the online eligibility check to make sure you a eligible and to receive your reference number. You may receive a notice that your application will take time to process - don't worry if you apply for one of our properties we can help fast track your application. This tenant fact sheet outlines the cirteria for being NRAS eligible.
Step 2. Find the right property
All our available NRAS properties can easily be veiwed on our website, once you have found one you are interested contact the agent to arrange an inspection or confirm your attendance to an open inspection.
Step 3. Completing your application
You will need to complete the following documents and provide all requested supporting documents.
- Rent Star Tenancy Application Form
- NRAS Declaration Form
- NRAS Tenant Consent Form
- NRAS Tenant Demographic Assessment
- AMC Tenant Income / Asset Application Form
To ensure your application can be processed it is vital that all documents are correctly completed and all requested documents are provided. Your application can not be approved unless we have all required documents.
Step 4. Processing your application
Here’s what we’ll look at when processing your application:
- Double check that you have fully completed your application form including all the attachments that we require;
- We’ll check your identification to ensure that all details line up as they should;
- We then do a basic affordability test for all people applying on your lease to make sure that the rent is within your means;
- We’ll contact your employer to ensure your employment and income details are current and correct.
- All applicants will be checked against a national tenancy database so that we’re aware of any past discrepancies in rental payments or prior property damage;
- Applications that meet our criteria will be passed to the property owner who'll make the final decision on which application to progress;
- If you’re application is selected we will notify you immediately to arrange a sign-up meeting, unsuccessful applicants will be notified as soon as a tenant is secured.
Step 5. Accepting and signing the lease
Once you have been accepted for a property we will make an initial phone call to advise that your application has been successful and to arrange a time for you to come and sign the lease. In order to secure the property we require all individuals who will be on the lease to meet within 24-48 hours of being approved so that we can stop advertising the property.
When you meet with us we will carefully explain the details of the lease including our expectations and obligations. As we need to explain all your tenancy details thoroughly, please allocate up to 45 minutes for your tenancy induction. We will also explain our zero tolerance policy for late rent payment, the bond lodgment process, action for emergency repairs and help to arrange payment methods through our DEFT payment system if necessary. At this point you will be required to sign the lease, pay two weeks rent in advance and pay the agreed bond amount (the equivalent of four weeks rent in most cases).
Please make all Bank Cheques/Money Orders out to Rent Star.