National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS) Rental Applications
The National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS) is a Queensland Government scheme that is in place to reduce the cost of rent for low to medium income households. If you are eligible to rent under the NRAS, follow the steps below to take advantage of this scheme.
Step 1. NRAS Registration
To ensure you are eligible for the NRAS scheme, complete the online eligibility check form on the Queensland Government website. You will then receive a NRAS reference number. A notice may appear stating that the application may take time to process. No need to worry however when applying for one of our properties. We can help to fast track your application. We also recommend looking at this tenant fact sheet which outlines the criteria for NRAS eligibility.
Step 2. Choose the right property
View all of our available NRAS properties easily on our website. Once you have decided on the property you are interested in, speak with an agent to have an inspection arranged or to confirm that you will be attending an open inspection of the property.
Step 3. Completing your application
The following documents will need to be completed and supplied to complete your application. The requested documents to be filled out include:
- NRAS Declaration Form
- NRAS Tenant Consent Form
- Tenancy Application Form from Rent Star
- NRAS Tenant Demographic Assessment
- Asset Application Form / AMC Tenant Income
All documents need to be completed correctly for the application to be processed. We require all documents to be on hand otherwise your application can not be approved.
Step 4. Processing your application
At Rent Star, when we look over your application, this is the process we undertake in when considering your application:
- We will double check that the application submitted is fully completed. This includes any attachments that are required.
- Your identification will be checked to make sure all details you provide match up.
- We follow this up with a simple affordability test for everyone applying for your lease. We do this to make sure the rent is within the means of those applying.
- Your employer will be contacted by us to ensure all details regarding employment and income are correct.
- We will then check your details in the national tenancy database. We do this to look for any past discrepancies with regards to property damage or rental payments.
- If an applicant meets our criteria, that application will be passed to the property owner. The final decision is then made by the property owner on whether the application progresses.
- If your application has made it through the process and is successful, you will be advised immediately and a sign-up meeting will be arranged with you. If your application is unsuccessful, you will be noticed when a tenant has been selected.
Step 5. Accept and Sign the Lease
For the property to be secured after you have been accepted for a property, all individuals on the lease are required to meet within 24 – 48 hours of approval. We will make an initial phone call to let you know that your application was successful and arrange for a time to meet. The lease will be signed during the meeting. Once the lease is signed, the property will no longer be advertised.
During the meeting, all details will be carefully explained including our expectations and obligations. All information regarding your tenancy will be explained thoroughly. Please note this induction meeting is expected to take up to 45 minutes so please ensure you have enough time put aside for the meeting.
We also have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to the process of lodging your bond, late rent payment, and action for emergency repairs which we will provide full details on in the meeting. We will also help to arrange payment methods through our DEFT payment system if required.
After all details have been discussed, you will be required to sign the lease. You will also need to pay the agreed bond amount as well as two weeks’ worth of rent. All Bank Cheques / Money Orders are to be made out to Rent Star.